Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Dear CPA exam,

I hate your stinking guts. You make me vomit. You're the scum between my toes! Love, Brianna

The CPA (Certified Public Accountant) exam has been the monkey on my back since May of 2012.  Well actually long before then, because I knew while I was working on my accounting degree, one day I would have to take it.  This is a 4 part exam that has THE lowest passing rate of any professional exam. Check this chart out from the AICPA...
Yes, you read that correctly.  Only about half (or less) of the people that take it pass.  I kept putting off studying for the exam.  I attempted to study while in grad school, but I had enough school work that kept me busy.  Then I started working while going to grad school.  Then when I graduated it was 'tax season' so I was working 50+ hours, 6 days a week.  There was just always something going on.  So finally May 1, 2012 I was done with my excuses and I was going to tackle this test and get it done with. Well... on May 20th I found out I was pregnant!! Funny how life loves to throw hurdles in your way.  The pregnancy just gave me the extra motivation to study, because how in the word was I going to study with a baby at home?

Fast forward to the present.  I have now taken this test a total of seven (SEVEN!) times and the end is in sight.  I have successfully passed two parts, and made 71s on the other two (you have to make a 75 to pass (only 4 points?? how frustrating is that??))  Also, did I mention that you only get 18 months before you lose credit?  My 18 months will be up 1/31/2014.  I am currently waiting on one score, and just scheduled what will hopefully be my last test for November the 23rd.   

I can't even put into words the weight that will be off of my shoulders when I get this test done.  I will actually be able to relax and not feel guilty about sitting around when I should be studying.  I'll finally get to catch up on all the books I've wanted to read, maybe make a scrapbook or knit a few scarves :) anything will be better than studying!!

I feel like there is a life lesson or a way to correlate this into training for a marathon, but right now my brain is just too fried from taking my last test (this past Sunday) to speak profoundly about it.  Or maybe it's because my child has decided he doesn't need to sleep at night.... but those topics will be saved for a later date!

What is something that has been a monkey on your back?

1 comment:

  1. We have a friend who took the CPA last year and he was ALWAYS studying. Obviously I do not have experience with it but from their stories I can only imagine. GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete