Tuesday, October 22, 2013

My 15k PR

Have you ever been in the car and been starving and the only thing in the car to eat was your baby's snacks?? Well I have, and I am not ashamed to admit that these are delicious.


This past Saturday we ran in the Peachtree City Classic 15k, and I am proud to report that I PRed!! Okay... so it was my first 15k race but I did meet my goal.  I wanted to be run 9 minute miles in the race which I was spot on.  In order to break 2 hours at the Savannah Rock n Roll half marathon I will have to average 9:05s, so this race was a good confident booster.

We had to travel up for the race so we did not get there until about 8pm and after Brice played with his grandparents for a little while it was time for bed. Side story: I had to be at a meeting really early Friday morning so Colin took Brice to daycare.  When I picked him up he was still wearing his PJ top from the night before... but that was it!  Silly Colin took our kid to school without any pants on.  I guess when you're 8 months old you can get away with that though. Mismatched clothes so he didn't have to ride in the car with no pants on. :)



The race did not start until 8:50 and we were a short golf cart ride away from the start... yes that is correct a golf cart ride.  (Peachtree City is the golf cart capital of the world, like golf cart parking spots at the stores kind of place)  With such a late start we were able to sleep in which was heavenly.  What was not heavenly was the fact that it was raining and cold!!! I stepped in a puddle within the first 5 minutes of the race and it was overcast so iTunes Radio was being a pain but I wasn't going to let either of those stop me!!  I ran negative splits except for mile 4 which completely uphill.  I got my second wind around mile 6 but at the same time I started feeling a tightness in my left IT band.  This slowly crept it's way up into my hip but I was still so focused on my end time.  I just took it one mile at a time and continued to pick out people who I wanted to catch up with.  Around mile 7 I told myself to not let anyone else pass me, so I picked up the pace. 

Colin had walked back and caught up with me around the mile 9 mark... which at this point I thought I was going to pass out.  But I was running all out at this point (a 7:30 pace!!!) and then I saw that magical finish line!  After plugging in my Garmin I saw why I felt like I was going to die, my HR was at 104% of the max rate.... not a good idea.

But it is all done and felt amazing, my IT band is still a little sore but nothing a nice run and foam rolling won't fix!! I really enjoyed the 15k distance and think I'm going to look for some more of this distance to do soon.

What is your favorite racing distance??

No comments:

Post a Comment