Thursday, October 31, 2013

That's what friends are for

Happy Halloween!! I hope everyone has a spooktacular day!  We got to dress up at work today and I am dressed as a marathon runner :) What other day will I get to wear running clothes to work???

I am so excited because this little beauty will be arriving next week!! Just in time for the Savannah Rock n Roll!  I can't believe the race is only 10 days away, which means I can start obsessing over the weather forecast for the day.

I have been running with the Garmin 110 that Colin bought me for my birthday.  I have been so happy with the watch, but as I've started running more I really want a watch that has more functions. (Mainly being able to display my current  pace instead of just average pace)  So fortunately I was able to sell my 110 for a reasonable price and get this one!
 
I got home rather late from work yesterday because I had to go by Walmart to buy lots of candy and some last minute supplies to finish the props for Brice's costume.  I needed to go for a run (both physically and mentally... yesterday was just one of those days) so when I got home, Colin took over baby duties and I headed out for my run.  When I first started, I was feeling rather sluggish.  My legs felt heavy, I was tired but I just shook it off and pushed through.  I did my first two miles and mentally was feeling better but physically just wasn't into it.  I was about to head back to the house when I ran into Matt & Kat out for their run.  They turned around and we did two more miles together and they were SOO much better than the first two.   Chatting with them made the miles go by quicker and I was actually running faster than I was for the first to miles. That's what friends are for right? To push you forward when you just don't feel like going.
 
Colin and I got into a short discussion last night about people running fast.  (Colin is one of those people, he doesn't know how to not run fast) He saw one of his friends post on Facebook about her 7 mile run at 8 mpm and that was her 'slow day.'  I've decided there are two types of runners: those who were born fast, and those who have to work to be fast.  Unfortunately I am in the second half of that group.  I'm not saying that in a negative way because in the past 8 months since I started running again I have seen huge improvements in my times.  Sometimes it just seems a little unfair though that some people can just go out and be super speedy and I have to work so hard to improve my speed.
 
Which one are you?? Born speedy or work for it?  What is your comfortable running pace?

 

1 comment:

  1. I work for it... but I also think speed is relative. Some people think I'm fast but then others would probably think I'm average... just depends on the context.

    ReplyDelete